It’s that time of year again where I decided to take some time to very kindly suggest an update in headshots. I know, I know! “you already have headshots!” so is there really a need to update them?
Here’s the deal, ideally, your headshots could do with an update every 2 years, especially in certain industries such as film and theatre. But I know for many of you reading this it’s likely been WELL OVER 2yrs. (My last client humbly admitted it had been over 10 for him because he was absolutely terrified of updating his headshots because he’d aged so much) The sad part was that when he’d go to meet his clients in person, they’d not even recognize him. So yeah…please don’t let it go that long!
Maybe yours aren’t that old and you’re still not convinced you need to invest in a new set of headshots? Here I’ll outline a few signs that you do:
- You’ve aged. (case example above) If you’ve noticed some changes in the mirror, it’s probably a good idea to update your headshots. The reality is that your headshots need to look recent, so aging is the first good reason to consider updating your headshots. This is particularly important if your appearance plays a role in you getting work.
- You’ve updated your look. Have you lost a significant amount of weight, changed your hair, or had surgery? This is another sign that it’s time to schedule another headshot session with your photographer. When people meet with you, if they don’t recognize you, it can come off as untrustworthy.
- Your current headshots are trendy. If the last time you took headshots you followed a particular trend, whether this was a style of photo or fashion, it’s time to update your images. Unfortunately, trends never last long, which means your headshots quickly become outdated. Rather opt for a timeless look and photo style for the best results.
- You’re often contacted about roles you’re uninterested in. This one is specific to any actors reading this. If you frequently get calls about roles that aren’t your type, it’s time to consider whether your headshots are sending the right message.
- People often don’t recognize you. This one applies to anyone from any sector. If potential employers, clients, or business partners often tell you how different you look in person, you might want to update your headshots.
So, is it time to give your headshots an upgrade?
Jamie Salima Love is a FingerLakes based Headshot and Personal Branding Photographer extraordinaire. She has helped thousands of small businesses, brands, and entrepreneurs over her 20 yr career by creating updated photo libraries with stellar imagery. She is available for a multitude of services, whether you’re looking to work with her to simply update your Headshots, or to create an extensive Personal Branding Photography strategy and library with all the bells and whistles she’s got you covered.